It may not come as a surprise that the BIGkick tool is one of my favorite jewelry-making tools. And what is not to love? It is compact, affordable, and effortless to use–and the results are almost always perfection. So when I saw the new embossable, 30-gauge aluminum blanks on the “NEW shelf” I was ready to try them; finally, an affordable silver-toned alternative to sterling silver.
Here’s a quick project I designed. I’m sure you will agree the new aluminum blanks are a dream come true.
DIY Embossed Aluminum Birthstone Necklace
You will need the following supplies:
- 1 each of 30-gauge aluminum blank with hole (I used item #44-773-009)
- 1 each of TierraCast bright rhodium plated stepped charm with inline loop and Swarovski Crystal (I used item #46-970-12-3-08)
- 2 feet of jewelry chain by the foot or jewelry chain by the spool (I used item #40-090-29-1 or #40-099-29-1)
- 3 each of assorted-sized jump rings (I used item #37-100-1)
- 1 each of lobster clasp (I used item #39-340-1)
You will need the following tools:
- Vintaj Edition BIGkick by Sizzix – no longer in production; we’ve replaced it with the upgraded Big Shot Jewelry Studio
- Vintaj DecoEmboss die (I used item #69-325-009)
- Flat-nose pliers
- Chain-nose pliers
- Semi-flush side cutter
Embossing the Aluminum Blank
Finishing the Necklace
♥ Make things!