How to make wrapped leather bracelets

March 8, 2011

Triple-wrap leather bracelet with blue tigereye beads

Let me begin by stating the obvious – this style of wrapped leather bracelet is EVERYWHERE this season. Everywhere! Even my athletic clothing catalogs – which only have maybe three pieces of jewelry – are featuring this style. Why? Because it is casual yet chic and infinitely customizable! The catalog (which shall remain nameless) priced each bracelet at $120. Needless to say, you can make your own for far, far less using supplies from Rings & Things!

leather wrapped gemstone bracelets

Five different leather wrapped gemstone bracelets designs: green opal, mookaite, African turquoise, hematite and rhodonite

The supply list is pretty short:

• 4-6mm round beads We used gemstone beads, but glass, crystal beads or pearls would also be lovely. The number you need depends on how many times you want to wrap the bracelet around your wrist. Larger beads work too – but they will start getting heavy on multiple-wrap styles. All the bracelets pictured in this post use 6mm. Our new wrapped bracelet kits use 4mm beads. <– The kits are great, because once you make your first bracelet, you’ll have plenty of thread and needles left over with which to make many more!
  • Leather cord Our examples use Greek leather. Both the 1.5mm and 2mm worked great.
  • Thread Needs to be sturdy and able to pass (doubled) through your beads twice. Pick a color that matches your leather or that provides a pretty contrast. We used earth assortment). We now have tubes with all black or all brown bobbins available too!
  • Button or bead for the clasp. Rings & Things has some pretty buttons from TierraCast.
  • Required tools: needle (size 12 is a good general choice), scissors, work surface with clips or clothespins.
  • Optional tools: needle threader, thread conditioner, glue (GS Hypo Cement, Bead Fix or other fabric-friendly adhesive for extra security on your knots).

Wrapped bracelet made with green opal gemstone beads and natural Greek leather.

The technique:

1. Choose your bracelet length and cut your leather. The formula is double your finished bracelet length plus extra for making the knots. For single-wrap bracelet, measure your wrist and then triple that number to get the length of leather needed (7″ wrist = 21″ of leather). For a triple-wrap, multiply your wrist by seven (7″ wrist = 49″ leather). It is better to leave your leather too long than to end up with not enough.
  2. Cut a long piece of thread (10-12 feet) and thread your needle. Knot the end of the threads.
  3. Knot the leather and thread together, leaving a loop on the end.

Holding the thread by the knot, let the needle fall to the ground so it is centered on the thread. Fold your piece of leather in half, leaving a loop large enough for your button to fit through. Holding the knot-end of the thread with the leather, tie an overhand knot so that your thread and leather are now connected.

Make sure your button will fit through the loop before you tighten the knot.

4. Attach your piece to a work surface.

Using binder clips or clothespins, attach your loop to the top of a piece of cardboard. Use a second clip to attach the leather ends to the bottom of your board (leave the thread loose).

5. Starting with your thread in the middle of the two strands of leather, wrap the thread OVER the right strand to the outside, then UNDER the right, OVER the left to the outside, then UNDER the left and OVER the right. It is a simple figure-8 stitch.
    how to stitch a wrapped leather bracelet

Over, under, over, under – once you get a rhythm going, the bracelet is super easy to make!

Do this 5-6 times, pulling the thread tight around the leather to form a binding. (The pattern could go either way, but since I’m right-handed I’m going to describe it this way. Reverse it if needed!) Here is a close-up of the lashing:

A few stitches without beads secures the thread nicely on the leather.

6. Now you are ready to start adding beads. After your thread has passed UNDER the left leather, add a bead. Hold the bead between the two strands of leather, and stitch the thread OVER the right, back UNDER the right, THROUGH the bead hole again and OVER the left. Bring the thread UNDER the left and add another bead in the middle. Repeat many many times! Keep the beads pulled in snugly against the leather. Pay attention so that your stitches all face the same way. If your thread seems to snag a lot, use a bit of thread conditioner or beeswax on it.

Adding the first bead to a wrapped bracelet – but really I’m posting this picture to show off Jaci’s manicure!

A work in progress. See how the beads line up inside the leather?

7. To finish the bracelet, form several stitches without beads, just like you did in step 5. Now you are ready to attach your button or bead. Ideally, you’ll have enough leather left to tie on a button with a nice knot on the back and trim the ends.
    button end for wrapped leather bracelet

Long tails makes it easy to tie on a button closure.

If your button has a small loop, you might need to miter (angle) the leather end and pull it through with pliers.

Buttons, disk beads and crimp ends can all be used to finish the bracelet ends.

If somehow you come up short, all is not lost. You can tie a disk bead onto just one strand of the leather (use glue to enforce your knot), like on the 2nd bracelet from the left. Or if your ends are really short, use a hook-end crimp, as shown on the pink bracelet on the right.

8. If desired, add a touch of glue to the knots to ensure the thread is gripped securely by the leather. Trim ends as needed.

Other design options:

• String your button or bead clasp first, then tie a series of knots on the end to make the bracelet length adjustable.
  • Use jump rings to attach a couple of charms, like on Mollie’s Belle Star bracelet.
  • Leave the leather tails long and add beads or decorative knots.
  • Substitute a different type of cord for the leather, as in Tracy’s rattail and dragon blood jasper design:

wrapped gemstone bracelet with rattail instead of leather

Have fun creating your own wrapped bracelets! You’ll find it is quite addictive once you start. Please feel free to post questions – I will do my best to answer! ~ Cindy

Need supplies? Rings & Things ships around the world! The most popular wrapped leather bracelet supplies are:

Other how-to’s:

How to etch copper | How to wire-wrap a briolette
How to dap & dome metal jewelry
How to make interchangeable magnetic jewelry with 1″ buttons
How to make Pi-day earrings using mini bottle caps as pans

Q: “How do you start a new thread in the middle of the bracelet?”

(answers selected from replies to blog comments)

A: It’s best if you can avoid running out of thread (start with 10-12 feet to avoid running out). But if you do, start a few beads back and go through them again. This means you’ll have to go through some of your beads 4x, which (depending on your beads and cord) might be impossible. Other problems are that your bracelet will be weaker than if you were able to use 1 continuous thread, and you’ll be able to see the section that has twice as much cord as the rest of the bracelet.

A2: Get really good at hiding knots in your beads. =)

A3: If you’re down to just a tiny bit of thread, it is going to be hard to tie the ends onto new strands, but if you realize you’re not going to make it and cut off the needle, rethread and knot the strands together, you can probably pull the knot inside of a bead. I hope this makes sense – basically you’re not “starting anew” but pausing, adding on some extra thread and picking up right where you left off. 🙂

www.rings-things.com

Print Friendly

You Might Also Like

319 Comments

• Reply Deci Worland March 9, 2011 at 7:18 am

I posted this on my blog http://gemtrails.blogspot.com/2011/03/wrapped-leather-bracelet-tutorial-at.html
    Great tutorial!

• Reply Dave Robertson March 9, 2011 at 7:50 am

Thanks, Deci! Great job by Cindy; thanks for sharing this!

–Dave

• Reply Frann @ Armored Hearts March 9, 2011 at 8:38 am

This is a great tutorial for a beautiful bracelet!

• Reply Deb Davis March 9, 2011 at 10:27 am

Great tutorial. Thanks!

• Reply Deb Davis March 9, 2011 at 10:28 am

Hey you know what would be totally cool? Is if there was like, a link that you could click and all the supplies that you need for doing one of these would be instantly added to your shopping cart.

• Reply Dave Robertson March 9, 2011 at 11:37 am

I completely agree, Deb. GMTA: we were just talking about that idea here yesterday!! It’s getting thought about 🙂

– – Dave at Rings & Things

• Reply Rona March 9, 2011 at 11:38 am

Fantastic! I’ve been trying to work this out for myself. Thanks for saving me from trying to re-invent the wheel!
    EXCELLENT directions!

• Reply jams March 9, 2011 at 6:11 pm

This is wonderful!! I’ve been trying to think of things to do with this leather cord. Fantastic idea! Thanks so much. 😀 <3

• Reply eileen flattery meyer March 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm

could you possibley email pattern or is there a dvd to purchase or anyway to get tutorial i can watch at my own pace?

• Reply Cindy March 10, 2011 at 7:56 am

Sorry, Eileen – we don’t have a DVD or separate tutorial available. I would recommend searching You Tube for a “wrapped leather bracelet how to” if you’d like to see the whole process in action. Happy beading!

• Reply Lisa Godfrey March 9, 2011 at 10:10 pm

This is great! I’ve always wondered how to make these. It looks pretty easy! I can’t wait to try it out!

• Reply Mellissa Lopez March 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I Love the nails!!!!. what is the different between the greek leather and ordinary leather? I dont think I can find greek leather in New Zealand!!

• Reply Cindy March 10, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Hey Mellisa! Greek leather is known for being high quality – it is very smooth and supple (and we do ship to NZ!). But any type of leather cord will work for this type of bracelet so whatever you can buy locally should be fine.

• Reply Debbie Davis March 13, 2011 at 8:19 pm

So I just made a couple of these and I have a question — how do you keep the long long thread from being a total pain in the tukus in the early stage of the bracelet?

• Reply Cindy March 14, 2011 at 9:01 am

Hi Debbie! I agree the long thread is a major pain, but I found that using a narrow (4″ wide) piece of cardboard as my work surface helped me to not get tangled so much. I also prefer dropping my needle off to the side after each stitch, and pulling the stitch taut with my fingers, rather than trying to pull the needle several feet out to the side. Hope that makes sense. 🙂

• Reply Elaine July 14, 2011 at 3:56 am

Love the tutorial but just wondered about how you clean these types of bracelets?

• Reply Cindy July 14, 2011 at 6:49 am

Hi Elaine – if your bracelet gets dirty I’d advise washing the surface with a damp cloth. This type of design isn’t meant to get submerged. “Natural” leather will darken since it absorbs oil from your skin, but the other colors stay the same.
      Hope this helps! Cindy

• Reply Abbey July 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I am doing the triple wrapped bracelet and I’m running short on thread but still have many beads to attach, is there a way to add more thread?

• Reply Cindy August 1, 2011 at 7:08 am

Hi Abbey! I would just knot some more thread onto your strand before you run out, and try to hide the knot inside one of the beads. Add a drop of BeadFix or superglue if you want to be really safe. good luck!

• Reply Lee July 30, 2011 at 8:08 am

Wonderful tutorial. I’ve been wanting to try one of these bracelets for awhile and now I know how to do it.

Thanks!

• Reply Brian August 12, 2011 at 5:46 am

Hello Cindy,

Awesome bracelts, I have seen these everywhere, especially for men. I saw this bracelet, http://www.karmaloop.com/products.aspx?ProductID=180802&VendorCode=SMIKB&iskazbah=true and I really really like it but think it is overpriced so I was looking to make it but looks a bit hard….

Would you happen to know how to make it or make a similar one? If not, do you know of a link that shows you how to make this or something similar?

Appreciate it!
    -Brian

• Reply Emily August 13, 2011 at 4:39 am

Maybe I missed a part – what do you do to secure the thread at the end of the process. The directions skip from “form several stitches without beads” to “attach your button.” Should I just knot or tie it off, or should it be part of the knot that secures the button, like it was at the beginning with the loop. And at the top near the loop, do you just end up with a knotted piece of thread or do you secure that somehow, too?
    Thanks for the instructions – I’m really excited about these!

• Reply Cindy August 16, 2011 at 8:53 am

Hi Emily! No worries, I understood what you meant even without all the punctuation 🙂
      Your guess is a good one – since the thread is lashed around the leather securely at both the beginning and the end, I it is best to just continue the thread through the knot with the button instead of trying to knot it off sooner.
      At the top, just trim the thread end and hide it underneath the lashing. Some people like to use a drop of glue to make sure it stays tucked away.
      Hope this helps! Good luck on your bracelets.

• Reply Emily August 13, 2011 at 4:40 am

I just realized I missed two question marks. 🙁

• Reply Christine August 22, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Thanks so much- great instructions and I am excited to try it. I particularly like that the design begins with the loop rather than the button. So much tidier!

Can you tell me, though, how closely to the knot you trim your ends after the button is attached, and if glue will actually secure leather knots? I have seen glue suggested in a couple of tutorials but I am doubtful about glue’s strength with the shiny leather.

• Reply Cindy August 23, 2011 at 8:30 am

Hi Christine! How closely you trim the ends is up to you…I’ve seen it done many ways. I like to trim the ends pretty close, but as you noticed, that does seem to work best with the natural (uncoated/less shiny) leather. Glue can work well – just make sure whatever you use includes leather on the list of compatible materials and you should be ok. Superglues tend to become brittle, and Amazing Quick Hold will destroy the leather, so I don’t recommend either of those.
      If you don’t want to mess with glue, long tails can be a pretty design feature, too, like on this bracelet by Jaci: http://www.rings-things.com/gallery/displayimage-1941.html
      Hope this helps! Good luck!

• Reply Cloe Hedger Jewellery Designer August 25, 2011 at 3:02 am

Thanks for sharing, I am just loving these bracelets right now.
    Cloe 🙂

• Reply Wrap Bracelet August 25, 2011 at 5:15 am

Really a great post on making of Wrap Bracelets and the picture you used adds worth to the post. Thanks for the share. Keep posting!

• Reply Merissa August 31, 2011 at 8:03 am

Thank you so much for the tutorial on how to make the wrap bracelets! I’ve been looking for one all over, and yours was great. I just made one for my wedding, and it turned out perfect due to your post.

• Reply Cindy August 31, 2011 at 8:23 am

Yay! I’m so glad. Congratulations on your wedding!

• Reply Janine September 1, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I love these bracelets and love the tutorial! Can you tell me what kind of beads you used in step 6 (black) and do you sell them on this site? I’ve been looking everywhere for those! Thanks!

• Reply Cindy September 2, 2011 at 8:38 am

Thanks Janine! Sondra made the black bracelet using 6mm faceted hematite beads. They are available in our online store: the stock number is 21-896-015.

• Reply buy Bracelet September 13, 2011 at 6:36 pm

• Reply molly September 19, 2011 at 6:17 pm

i love these braclets! they are easy to make yet cute to wear! the supplies isnt very expensive at all either! i made one for me, and all my friends at school were asking me to make them one to!

• Reply uyangaa September 16, 2011 at 8:02 am

its very nice

• Reply A Brit Greek September 18, 2011 at 2:43 am

Just Stumbled this, loving the craftista action! Looks pretty easy, but I’m sure i’d make a mess of such simple task!
    x.o.x.o

• Reply Anne September 21, 2011 at 6:33 am

This is so great.. thank you thank you for this tutorial..
    Hugs
    Anne

• Reply Beth Toller September 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

Hi. Great Tutorial! Very clear and easy to understand. Got my bracelet done, now having a hard time figuring out how to tie my bead/button on.
    Want to use one of these for the end but not sure the best way to tie it , So I keep trying different ways but my knots keep covering his face up, which I would like to show.
    Any suggestions?
    And thanks for the great how-to!

• Reply Cindy September 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

Oooh, that skull bead looks tricky. I see how the eye holes make it look like a button, but you’re right, tying it on that way covers up the face. My only idea is to put wire through the regular bead holes, and make some kind of loop on the back to string the leather through. Good luck! Hope it turns out one way or another 🙂

• Reply Cat September 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Hi Beth!

Not positive on this as I’m just learning myself, but what if you used your two loose ends (at the end of the bracelet) and thread each end up through one eye and down through the other eye ( like a button) and tie your knot off underneath?

It will cover the “nose” bridge a bit with the leather but that’s the only way I can think of to make those beads work.

Otherwise you could thread your ends, one each through each eye and tie a knot on top like a disc bead but I think that would cover more than you’d like.

Just a thought, hope it helps!

• Reply Lisa Keck September 27, 2011 at 9:34 am

I have more faceted acrylic beads than I know what to do with. I noticed one of your patterns used faceted beads. I’m wondering how comfortable that would be. Is it a lose fitting bracelet or should I add an inch or so to make it looser?

• Reply Cindy September 28, 2011 at 8:35 am

Hi Lisa! Faceted beads work great. Each of us made our bracelets to fit our own wrists with enough slack to be comfortable. As long as the bracelet has a little wiggle room on your wrist you shouldn’t be bothered by the faceting at all.

• Reply Tracy September 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hi Cindy, This all looks pretty clear, but I’m wondering what you do with the thread you knotted in the beginning, at the loop end?? In one of the last pictures, labeled “long tails make it easy to tie on a button closure,” I can see the knotted thread at the loop end. Do you snip it off?
    Thanks!!

• Reply Cindy September 28, 2011 at 8:32 am

Hi Tracy! Yes, just snip off the thread close to the knot. This is where some people like to add a droplet of glue for security, although I’ve found that the knot and lashing holds it together just fine. Sorry for the oversight in the instructions. Hope your project turns out great!

• Reply craftyjules September 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Thanks for the great tutorial! I made this: http://craftyjules.weebly.com/1/post/2011/09/leather-gemstone-wrap-bracelet.html

• Reply Beth Toller October 3, 2011 at 10:14 am

That is beaufiful. Great job!

• Reply LivPurple October 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Do you know how to make a three-row, or triple-row bracelet? I found one on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO3KCls53Ec&feature=related), but I only want three rows of beads, not the silver rows that make it a five-row bracelet.
    Thanks!

• Reply Cindy October 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Hi! I’m not sure exactly how they knotted the ends together, but that bracelet looks like it is stitched together the same way as our wrap bracelet. They just made three wrist-length pieces and then used the silver beads to stitch those pieces into a cuff. You could probably do a 3-row version by making 2 wrist-length sections and stitching them together with the same beads. Good luck! Looks fun 🙂

• Reply Jessica October 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I used this this tutorial today and made two amazing bracelets! A 1 and a 3 wrap. Thanks for your simple instructions it was so fun and easy and I can’t wait to make more!

• Reply Kelly T. October 16, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Hello. Have you had any experience with the beads slipping (thread slides on the leather after wearing, and the bracelet starts to twist up) on the leather? Am I not securing it tightly enough to the leather? 🙁 Help….

• Reply oooLiekeooo October 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Thx!! I really love them!!

• Reply Patrish November 27, 2011 at 11:23 am

Oh my goodness, we LOVE this! Thank you so much for sharing.

• Reply Nancy November 27, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hi,
    I’m going to try to make some of these for gifts – i’m totally new to the beading game and am ordering supplies direct from your site – I’m wondering what size needle to get if I’m going to use the recommended thread? I see from your picture that the needle is slightly curved too. I honestly have none of the supplies on hand so I need to get it all. Also, if I were to do a triple wrap for an average adult woman’s wrist – how many bracelets would I get from one roll of the greek leather (need to figure out how much I need).

Thanks!!!
    Nancy

• Reply Cindy November 28, 2011 at 9:13 am

Hi Nancy! Hope I’m not replying too late. I recommend the size 10 sharps beading needles (although most sizes of beading – not sewing – needles will work). Don’t worry about the needle being curved. Based on average wrist size (7.5″ wrist x 7 triple wrap = 52.5″ for each bracelet) you can make three bracelets with 5 meters of leather, or 13 with 20 meters. Good luck!

• Reply Nancy November 28, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Thanks so much for your reply – ordering now – I’m so excited to try this!!

• Reply Jaime November 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Do you sale these? I would love to buy some but the ones I’m seeing online are like you said, overpriced! I especially love the first one on the page with the flower!!

• Reply Polly November 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Hi Jaime!
      Search etsy.com for “wrapped leather bracelet” and you’ll find a bunch of great handmade designs, for a variety of prices.

• Reply Cathey November 30, 2011 at 10:02 am

Thank you so much for sharing – I have been looking all voer for the how-tos for these fun bracelets!

• Reply Ivanka December 3, 2011 at 10:05 am

Thank you so much for posting this! They look amazing! With the type of thread you used, can you use gemstones that have 0.5-1 mm holes?

• Reply Polly December 8, 2011 at 12:54 pm

The size D thread should work on *some* of those beads, but not all of them. You’ll probably end up with some set aside for matching earrings. =D
      The size D thread is .15mm, then you double it, making it .3mm, and then you go through the beads twice, so that makes .6mm … but cord is a little squishy, so that doesn’t mean it is a total fail … but the math does say it is larger than the smallest .5mm holes. Especially when you add in a bit more for the thickness of the needle’s eye. So use the thinnest needle that you can stand to use.

• Reply Ivanka December 14, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Thanks for the reply! Just wanted to say I found these for sale on a certain website. They were wrapped 5 times and going for almost $300 😉

• Reply Andi December 6, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Thanks so, SO much for sharing this tutorial. I, too, like many others have been searching high and low for these instructions. While I do plan on purchasing the leather you used, currently I have many packages of leather I got from your typical craft stores (e.g. Michael’a, AC Moore, etc) and I’m sure they’re of lower quality. If using them, do you recommend using the same kind of needle? The leather I have is rather stiff, so I wonder. Also, besides the thread you’ve used, have you used any other brands that work as well? And just for giggles, do you think this type of bracelet can be made sturdy with Rattail? Thanks for reading, Happy Holidays…..Andi from Eclecticajewelry.artfire.com. (can’t wait to make these and hopefully sell some – I’ve actually bought these before and they’ve always come apart!)

• Reply Cindy December 7, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Hi Andi! Since the thread just wraps around the leather, rather than piercing it, the any beading needle is fine. Any beading needle and any thread that is small enough to fit 2x through the bead holes (and looks good!) is fine too. Tracy here made a version with Rattail – it has held up fine, but it does have a more fluid, less “sturdy” feel than the leather versions. Happy holidays to you too! 🙂

• Reply Polly December 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm

If the leather is too stiff, it might also be brittle and break while your customer is wearing it, or the colored coating (if any) might flake off.

To test it, you might try wrapping a few strands around your wrist and wearing them as a “plain” bracelet for a few days or a week, to see how it holds up.

Personally, I think rattail would be too squishy — you’d be able to see indents where the cord wrapped around it. But, it might look cool and patterned that way. I haven’t actually seen one made with rattail before. Rattail is pretty tough, and I love the colors and shinyness, but it might fray.

• Reply sass December 6, 2011 at 8:52 pm

how add a beading string if i run short in the middle?

• Reply Cindy December 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Just tie a new piece on – knot it securely and try to hide the knot inside a bead if possible.

• Reply Polly December 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm

The most common method is to knot some more thread onto your strand before you run out, and try to hide the knot inside one of the beads, then add a drop of BeadFix or superglue if you want to be really safe.

• Reply Maya December 15, 2011 at 6:55 am

I just finished making one of these 🙂 made a couple of mistakes at the beginning but I got there in the end. Thanks for posting the tutorial! I really enjoyed making it and I’ll definitely be making a few more.

• Reply Cindy December 15, 2011 at 11:02 am

Great! I made some mistakes on my first one too. The second (and 3rd, and 4th…) were more fun!

• Reply Angela December 15, 2011 at 11:30 am

I started making one of these the other day with 7-8mm river shell beads. I love the colors…but quickly ran into the problem that my BEADsmith no-stretch nylon wont fit through twice when it is doubled. It says it is size6 18yards. Should I run out and buy another brand/size? Some people are saying their bracelets stretch out and their thread breaks over time. I am making this as a gift for a friend so I would like it to last. HELP!?

• Reply Cindy December 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Hi Angela – yes, size 6 bead cord is about 4x as thick as the size D SuperLon thread we used for our bracelets. The only breakage any of us have experienced was when we added more thread and didn’t knot securely. However, if it just seems too thin for your liking, you might try size 2 nylon cord – at about .3mm, it will most likely fit. With any thread or cord, you can “prestretch” it just by tugging sections with your hands before you start the project. Hope this helps! Good luck 🙂

• Reply Angela December 15, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Thank you so much! I will go out in buy some different thread. Some of these things you can’t know until you try/ask.

• Reply Bela January 4, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Wonderful tutorial! I am halfway through my bracelet right now ^^

• Reply Cindy January 5, 2012 at 11:39 am

Thanks Bela! Hope you are having fun with it 🙂

• Reply Melisa January 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Awesome bracelet! Just made it and I love it! Fairly easy written tutorial, nice job with photos and explanation. Thanks for posting this tutorial.

• Reply pete January 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Crazy, I just took a class in making these and the instructions had a statement that the design, technique was copyrighted!! So I began googling and saw your great tutorial. Can they sue for copyright infringement if I sell a few? They seem to be everywhere and they are fantastic and fun to make.

• Reply Cindy January 9, 2012 at 10:04 am

Hi Pete! Copyrights are confusing. As you can see, this style of bracelet is everywhere, so it seems doubtful your teacher – or anyone really – has a legal right to the design. What he or she probably could protect is their version of the instructions (i.e. the handout you received in the class). Each designer who uses a technique like this adds their own personality and style to the mix – which is what makes jewelry design so fun!

• Reply Cindi January 9, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Hi, I’ve made two of these bracelets and am having trouble with them twisting after wearing them a couple of times. Am I stitching to tight or to loose?? HELP!!! Thanks

• Reply Cindy January 10, 2012 at 10:12 am

Hi Cindi! It is hard to try to diagnose without seeing – either too tight OR too loose could be the problem! The beads need to be held firmly in place by the thread. Where I had problems was at the end – lashing too tight caused my last bead to want to “pop” out of the leather, and too loose is just a mess. Clipping the bracelet down close to the end while I did the final lashing is what helped me – maybe other readers can share what works best for them? Thanks all!

• Reply Andrea January 21, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Hi Cindy! Thanks for the great tutorial. I read through all of the comments for the extra tips, which made this bracelet a breeze. I used brown leather cording with topaz and rainbow seed beads, stacked 2 in each row to make it a little wider. I made it long enough to wrap around my wrist twice, which just so happens to be the right length for a choker as well. I’m so stoked with this pattern and I’m about to start another one! Thanks again!
    Andrea

• Reply Cindy January 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thanks Andrea! I love jewelry that can be worn more than one way – glad your bracelet/choker was a success!

• Reply April January 21, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I cannot figure out how to finish the bracelets. What do I do with the thread and the leather cord? Other than this, it was an excellent tutorial.

• Reply Cindy January 23, 2012 at 10:33 am

Hi April! Sorry about that. The directions are a little vague about the end because there are several ways you can do it. The end is kind of like the beginning – after you’ve added all the beads you want, make a bunch of whip stitches with the thread around the leather. Then knot the thread and trim off any excess. How you tie off the leather depends on what type of button or clasp you are using. As you can see from our examples, we found 5 or 6 different ways of making it work…and there are probably more! Hope this helps 🙂

1 2 3 4