People use Mala necklaces for both spirituality and fashion, and making a Mala tassel necklace with prayer beads can be easy and fun! The use of Malas or “meditation garlands” in prayer dates back 3,000 years. Traditional Malas consist of 108 prayer beads, including “marker” beads, plus a larger “summit” or “guru” bead. During meditation, a mantra or prayer is recited 108 times — once per bead. The marker beads serve as a point to re-focus, if necessary, and the summit bead is a beginning and ending point. When you make your own DIY Mala necklace, you can incorporate gemstone beads with properties that benefit you (or your family, friends, and customers). You can also use charms with symbols of your choice and colors with special meanings. Read on for full instructions.
First, gather the following supplies:
- 42 inches of BeadSmith Super-Lon bead cord (I used #61-710-007)
- 111 each of size 8 TOHO seed beads (I used #20-225-221)
- 100 each of rosewood Mala beads (I used #29-580-08)
- 1 each of brushed-finish gold-plated bead (I used #26-816-205)
- 1 each of TierraCast symbol charm (I used #49-958-52-AG)
- 8 each of 7-8mm round gemstone beads (I used #21-888-002-00)
- 4 meters of Beadalon cotton tassel cord (I used #61-919-941)
- Optional: 1 necklace shortener (I used #30-672-4)
You’ll also want the following tools:
Now, start stringing your prayer necklace:
- Starting at the end where the tassel will be, I used the following pattern: 1 turquoise marker bead, 5 rosewood prayer beads, 1 turquoise marker bead, 13 rosewood prayer beads, 1 turquoise marker bead, 32 rosewood prayer beads, 1 turquoise marker bead.
- TIP: String size 8 seed beads between each larger bead to give the appearance of hand-knotting without all the work!
- Now add your charm. You’ve made it to the half-way point!
- Starting on the other side of your charm, string the following pattern : 1 turquoise marker bead, 32 rosewood prayer beads, 1 turquoise marker bead, 13 rosewood prayer beads, 1 turquoise marker bead, 5 rosewood prayer beads, 1 turquoise marker bead. This will give you a symmetrical pattern.
Bring both sides together:
Now it’s time to make your tassel:
If you enjoyed making a Mala from prayer beads, you might also enjoy making a yoga bracelet.
♥ Make things!